- This event has passed.
Food Preserving for beginners
March 20 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pmA$250.00
I love foraging, I love growing and I want to make the very most of what I find and what I grow.
Preserving for beginners offers all the skills needed to preserve the taste of summer, the cool of winter and the red of autumn.
This class is jam packed with information.
In many preserving classes you are taught one to two recipes but rarely taught all the principles that underpin those recipes. Without an understanding of the principles, you are left always wondering if what you have done will last, if it is safe and safe to share.
Preserving is easy, that is why so many homemakers get involved, it is also very rewarding.
There is a great deal to learn initially and at first it can seem overwhelming, but once learned it is deeply gratifying, empowering and something valuable to share with others.
What you will learn:
• Acidity; its role in preserving, how to measure pH and what the pH of a preserve should be
• How to determine the acidity naturally found in raw ingredients
• Elevation; how elevation affects preserving times, how to determine if you are at elevation and how to adjust for elevation
• Raw Pack and Hot Pack method
• The role of sugar, salt, heat, time, and acidity
• How to sterilise jars and when not to pre sterilise jars
• How to accurately pack food into jars
• Preserving Organisations and their recipes
• How does the Australian Fowler’s method differ from The National Centre for Home Food Preservation
We will make four preserves. They will be:
Jam – Hot Pack
Raw fruit packed in jars with sugar syrup – Raw Pack
Pickled carrots – Raw Pack
Tomato puree for pasta dishes – Hot Pack
You will work in pairs to make one of the above preserves.
These recipes will use either low acid or high acid foods giving us the opportunity to use our newly acquired preserving principles!
This class is for 8 students.
It’s a hands-on class and you will be asked to partake in a range of simple activities, culminating in the preparation and preservation (by working in pairs) of the four recipes outlined.
Join me if you can! Much huge care, Mara
Refund Policy: We are extremely sorry to say that it is not possible to give refunds once payment is made regardless of lead up-time. It is possible however for you to transfer your enrolment to a friend or acquaintance.
In light of on and off lockdowns due to Covid, we will do our best to reschedule classes at the earliest time possible. If the class cannot be re-scheduled then a refund will be provided. Much huge care and all the very best from mara
We look forward to meeting you!